Sunday 4 December 2016

Probably voiding my VoLo-E board guarantee!

Removing the bottom half off the bike computer casing means I can actually embedd the top half of the computer bike into the longboard by making a recess in the board ply to house the bike computer. This will mean that the bike computer will protrude from the surface by around 6mm.

All along I have been worried about the positioning of the bike computer and not wanting to reduce the strength of the board. So I positioned the recess at the top of the board away from any loading. The fact that I don't need to drill through all the plies should also be a positive thing in terms of keeping the board strength.

First, I placed the top half of the bike computer onto the top of board and drew round it in order to get the the shape for the recess perimeter. Then I arranged a  drill in my drill press so that it could not extend by more than 6mm into the board surface (I didn't want to go all the way through the board!). Then I drilled about 40 holes within the drawn out shape boundary. After that, I got a Stanley knife to cut out any remaining bits in-between the holes and used some sand paper to try clean it up a bit. Oh boy I must have definitely destroyed any sort of product guarantee I had from VoLo-E. The work in progress can be seen below:





No comments:

Post a Comment