Tuesday 15 August 2017

Who would have thought there would be so much to know about wheels

What I've noticed now is that due to the rough roads I have been travelling on during the commute to work, my wheels (particularly the one connected to the motor) are starting to look a bit chewed up. So, like with a car, I am going to regularly swap the wheels around (back to front) to equalise the wear on all wheels.

I often have thought about changing the wheels on my board. Larger diameter ones would make it go faster, smaller ones  give it better torque going up a hill. Stoked LA give a very good overview about wheels for your long board.

It seems the 78A PU 90mm wheels that come as standard on my Volo-e longboard are a safe bet. Though, interestingly Stoked LA advise that going over 80mm diameter can give risk of bending the standard 8mm axles of a skateboard truck with aggressive riding (but I think that is more to do with non electric boards)

Skateboard wheel diameter explained

Stoked LA present all aspects of wheels that should be considered by a skateboarder: diameter, width, durometer wheel lips etc. Who would have thought there would be so much to know about wheels?


No comments:

Post a Comment