Friday 16 September 2016

Bike computers - a mature market

When looking at the various bike computers on the market I had quite  a few considerations for an odometer for my skateboard. Originally measurement of distance was my  main concern. But since all the bike computers include a speed function, my selected bike computer would  have to have a reasonably sized screen so that I could see the display whilst travelling on the board. Also it shouldn't be too big that there was a risk of kicking it off! Finally, I wanted a bike computer which had its own battery power and would not need regular battery changes. I did see bike odometers that were wireless (there's a transmitter mounted at the wheel and not connected by a wire to the display) and considered that the display could be warn on the wrist a bit like  a watch but this seemed more high-tech than necessary and I was dubious about how much power the wireless transmission would consume.

The bike computer market is mature - that means bike computers are a  mass produced product. Due to economies of scale this yields a significantly cheaper solution then going DIY and using a hobby microprocessor.

After much searching and comparing different cycle odometers I have settled on a five function one from Halfords. I figured it only costs 5 pounds and a small price to pay for experimentation. It measures speed, total distance and trip distance, plus it tells the time. Can't remember what the fifth function is....
Not sure if I'll order it or go there in person - probably travel there on my skareboard :). The next blog will cover the experimentation.



No comments:

Post a Comment