Thursday 8 September 2016

Seem's not all eSkateboard manufacturers use a gun design for the controller

In terms of ergonomics the Volo-E gun fits the hand well and allows control of the longboard. However, in terms of the way it looks  I've heard a few comments now as I skate past various strangers such as "he's got a taser!" and "that looks like a gun". Whilst carrying my skateboard I've been stopped once already by the police and would rather not have that happen again.

I was curious if all electric skateboard manufacturers used a gun design for the controller. So I did a quick search on Google images. I've arranged the images of the controllers in order of desirability. Obviously the smaller and less gun like the better:


In a previous blog I talked about using  a 3D printer to make a new case design but concluded with the large PCB in the Volo-E gun controller there wasn't much scope to change the external design. In an ideal world the controller would be a bit like the Nintendo Wii Nunchuk. The products shown in the bottom images approach this. But I think that's only possible because they are not using conventional batteries but rather rechargeable battery packs which have a smaller profile allowing a tighter shape for holding inside the hand.

2 comments:

  1. Could you use an Adruino on your board? Then you could follow something like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Wii-Nunchuck-control-of-Arduino-projects/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ben,
    Yes, could replace the motor controller board with an Adruino. In fact another electric skateboard manufacturer already has a Wii Nunchuck controller mod for their boards: http://diyelectricskateboard.com/diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/wireless-wii-wiiceiver/

    ReplyDelete