Friday 7 October 2016

Breaking in (the bike computer)

Taking X-ray images to understand the bike computer casing  didn't really help that much. See the example image below.  The bike computer was angled in different orientations in the X-ray machine in order to see how the two halves of the case were stuck together. It does seem the bike computer is stuck together by a very tight press fit  (see red circles in image).



Because these bike computers are made so cheaply I don't think they are designed to be taken apart. Rather, if they stop working they are just to be thrown away. The press fit is so tight I can't get the top and bottom casing seperated. Therefore I've had to take drastic action to get inside the case. Using long nose pliers I had to painstakingly remove the bottom case half by picking off the plastic lip. This lip covers the internal lip of the top casing. As a result I have been destructive and that if I wanted to I couldn't stick the two halves back together again (remind you of Humpty Dumpty?). Fortunately the top half which is screwed to the PCB and holds the LCD is not damaged.The image below shows the separated parts.The LCD is sandwiched between the top casing  and the other side of the PCB (not visible in this image).



No comments:

Post a Comment